RSS

Philomena



I was not keen on watching this movie but the reviews on imdb convinced me.

The movie is based on a real life incident and there is a book about it. Philomena, played by Judi Dench, after 50 years of keeping silent confides in her daughter about the son she had when she was 17 years old. She had sex with a guy who was practically a stranger and got pregnant. Her father sent her to a convent in Ireland to have the baby. In the convent, she was made to work 7 days a week for 4 years and got to meet her son for an hour everyday. Her son was then sold to childless couples in America. It was quite a racket then... convents gave shelter to pregnant teenagers, made them work for years without pay and then sold off their babies.
A journalist Martin Sixsmith (Steve Coogan) meets Philomena and helps her find her son and then writes a book about it. Of course, the end is not predictable.


I liked the movie... to know that societies in UK and USA were so conservative is an eye opener. I have never been a fan of the church because I have studied in a convent and come across horrible nuns. The experience has made me strongly believe in the power of sex. Sex is good for health, mental well being and a good life. Celibates are cranky, unkind people.

Also the movie is not emotionally sloppy. I did not feel like crying in the scenes... not to say that I was not touched. But, I did not want to watch another Oscar nominated movie which was depressing and boring. No wonder it did not win any Oscars.

Do watch it.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Filum Time. All rights reserved.
Free WordPress Themes Presented by EZwpthemes.
Bloggerized by Miss Dothy